7 Questions to Ask When Buying a Car
How to Choose a Car That’s Right for You
Internet Lead Manager, Tempe
Which car should I buy? That’s a question we hear all the time at Auto House. What to look for when buying a car depends on your answers to key questions to ask when buying a car. Here we’ll break down the best questions to ask yourself before you shop. Your answers will reveal how to choose a car that’s perfect for you, your lifestyle, and your budget.
7 Questions to Ask When Buying a Car
BEFORE YOU BUY
- What size and body style vehicle do you need? Sedan, SUV, or truck? Luxury vehicle or sports car? Most vehicles are chosen for different phases of life. Here are some things to consider: How will you be using the vehicle? How big is your family? Will your family grow soon, stay the same, or are you downsizing? If you’re planning on growing your family, choose a car with a third seat. If you want a 3-row vehicle, you can have bucket seats or normal rows. It all comes down to your need for space and personal style.
- What is your budget? Whether you’re buying new or used, it’s essential to have a specific price range in mind for the price and your monthly payments before diving into the process of buying a car. Don’t forget to factor other hard costs into your purchase price. For instance, state and local sales taxes, title and registration fees, insurance, dealer documentation fees, etc.
- What type of driving will you be doing? Basically, 2WD vehicles (whether front or rear-wheel drive) are the most common and offer better fuel economy. A 4WD vehicle is best for off-road driving, regularly driving rough terrain, and hauling heavy loads. AWD is helpful for climates with harsh winter weather or rapidly changing conditions. Not sure why it matters? Consumer Reports breaks it down in this helpful article.
- Are there specific features that you want or need? Safety features are always important, no matter which type of vehicle you choose. From there it’s a matter of personal preferences for interiors, vehicle colors, and more. Technologies such as Navigation, Driver Assistance Systems, and Mobile app connectivity are increasingly popular, so make a list of Wants, Needs, and Negotiables to help with your decision.
- Do you have a particular make or model in mind? Many people have a favorite brand of car they prefer to stick with, while others love the thrill of trying a lot of different vehicles. With so many different models and manufacturers, begin with the body style, and your target price and then work your way through your wants and needs. Be sure to check the expert reviews from top auto magazines and verified owners as they’ll tell you a lot about each vehicle and model type.
- Will you be financing or paying cash? Do you have a 20 percent down payment? Don’t panic if you don’t. Most people put down $500-$1000 during the process of buying a car. While it doesn’t hurt to have your financing lined up, it’s not a must. For instance, at Auto House, we work with a wide range of trusted local credit unions to help our clients get the best financing rates and terms possible.
- Will you want an extended service plan? Purchasing an extended service plan will save you unexpected repair costs and keep your car running another 50,000 or 100,000 miles without worry! The best time to purchase an extended service plan is when you buy your car, or just before its manufacturer warranty ends. Your extended service plan can be customized to fit your budget, car, and car ownership style. (TIP: Purchase your plan from Auto House and use our service center for repairs — we waive your deductible.)
Once you’ve answered these questions, you can dive in and start looking for your next ride. In fact, you can start by clicking here. No matter what vehicle make or model you decide on, Auto House can deliver. If we don’t have it in stock, we can find it for you! Bottom line — we want you to be happy with your deal, and we’ll do what it takes to make that happen. At Auto House, that’s how we roll.